Saturday, May 16, 2009

The best bit....

Like most things in life, how I feel about travelling changes as I get older and my priorities and outlook change.

As a youngster, the best bit about going on holiday was the anticipation and the START of the trip. Like Christmas eve, I could never sleep properly the day before we went off on holiday, and the excitement of travelling to the airport, and then getting aboard the plane, often seemed to outstrip anything that followed during our week or ten days in Magaluf . I remember being particularly excited about the taxi-ing and warm-up of engines part, rather than the take off itself. Even ear popping on the descent was something I looked forward to!

As time wore on, I began to enjoy the 'middle bit' of travelling most, particularly when my wife and I got married abroad and spent a fantastic few weeks in sunny luxury and the worries of the world were distant. We are fortunate to have been able to travel to a lot of nice places in arelatively short space of time and I cherish the relaxed and romantic memories as travelling with the family obviously changes that to quite an extent!


Travelling with the kids has several especially good bits in fairness - normally the first one is the "aaah... we're finally sorted" part of having arrived at our destination and got the little treasures to bed. Our last holiday had a particularly good part early on in the trip when our eldest girl, having had a sudden and irrational fear of getting into swimming pools that lasted for 18 months, suddenly decided it was brilliant again, and that Daddy and middle girl had to join her at every waking moment. The pride I felt as she thrashed her way along with a veritable assortment of flotation aids attached, shouting "I'm swimming I'm swimming" will never leave me.

Getting home again with the kids is also a triumphant moment, especially if the return trip has gone smoothly, without any projectile vomiting on the plane or tantrums or little people getting lost in the airport. We're blessed (touch wood) with three kids that have thus far been pretty tranquil about travel, so generally we get back to chez UDH feeling pretty happy about the whole experience.

Travelling alone for business has one truly good bit. The coming home bit. I've spent a week or thereabouts away from home now and it feels like a year. I fully expect to find Flisan, my middle one, has dyed her hair green and got a nose ring, and that my eldest Gummis has started dating a kid that plays in a rock band at school. My little boy Gubban, who was 3 and a bit months old when I left a week ago, is probably walking and all of them will have steadfastly forgotten who I am.

Thankfully I had a super-enjoyable last 5 hours in HK, systematically trying to shift some wealth from Germany to HK in the form of credit card obliteration, and the assortment of presents for all will hopefully refresh their memories.

I've missed them all SO much. The best bit is definitely the coming home bit.

3 comments:

  1. I saw the Euro GDP figs took a nosedive. Must have been a decent shopping trip. Hope you left something for Trywalker...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit, I wish I had the same command of English in writing. I just read it and I rate you 90 out of 100.. 10 points is deducted as I am not sure if you wrote this before or after my text to you about Gubban this morning.. ;)

    with drilling noise in my ears all night long due to metro construction in my street( or this is only my reason for not being able to sleep while been bloody excited), I had only 3 hours sleep last night with HK session trading in my mind. Remembering at one stage, adding more to winning short eurusd position with the break of 1.3055 while david bowie singing in the background... ;)

    P.S. in 6 weeks, I am sure I can give them a good reason to build up the next " Great Wall" to keep me on the otherside of the fence after seeing my shopping habits, etc :)

    ReplyDelete